For the pastry:
1. Sieve the flour and salt together. Mix with the ground almonds.
2. Rub the butter into the flour with your fingertips. Add the sugar and mix well.
3. Add enough ice-cold water to make dough. Chill for 30 minutes.
4. Preheat the oven to 200 degree C (400 degree F).
5. Roll out the pastry on a lightly floured surface and using a 100 mm. (4") fluted cutter, cut sixteen rounds of 3mm. (1/8") thickness.
6. Bake for 15 to 20 minutes until pale golden. Cool and keep aside the shortcakes.
For the strawberry sauce:
1. Puree the strawberries in a blender. Add the icing sugar and lemon juice.
2. Strain and refrigerate.
How to proceed:
1. Place one shortcake on a plate, Pipe some whipped cream on top and place some sliced strawberries thereon. Sandwich with shortcake.
2. Make the other 7 shortcakes in the some manner.
For the garnish:
1. Dust icing sugar on top of each shortcake and garnish with strawberries.
2. Serve surrounded by the sauce.
You can also make these bite sized, if you use a smaller cookie cutter to cut the shortcake dough.
The dough can be refrigerated for a few days, wrapped in a plastic film.