For the chana dal:
1. Clean, wash and soak the Chana dal for 3 to 4 hours. Drain and keep aside.
2. Heat the oil in a pan, add the cumin seeds, asafoetida and ginger-green chilli paste and sauté for a few seconds.
3. Add the chana dal, turmeric powder, chilli powder, coriander powder, black salt, lemon juice and salt. Mix well and cook for another 2 minutes.
4. Add 4 tablespoons of water and simmer till all the moisture has evaporated. Add the coriander and mix well.
For the gur chawal:
1. Clean, wash and soak the rice for 10 minutes. Drain and keep aside.
2. Heat the ghee in a pan, add the fennel seeds, cardamoms and rice and sauté for 2 to 3 minutes.
3. Add 1˝ cups of hot water, cover and cook over a slow flame till the rice is cooked.
4. Add the jaggery and ˝ cup of water and simmer while stirring occasionally till the jaggery has dissolved.
5. Serve hot with the chana dal.