1. Sieve the flour.
2. Take out the butter from the refrigerator 1 hour in advance.
3. Cream the butter and sugar very well.
4. When the mixture is light and creamy, add the eggs, one at a time, beating each time thoroughly. If the mixture curdles while adding the eggs, add a little flour before adding the next egg.
5. Finally, fold in the flour and add milk until the mixture forms a dropping consistency.
6. Add the vanilla essence.
7. Grease and dust a 200 mm. 8" diameter sandwich tins.
8. Pour the mixture into the prepared tin.
9. Bake in a hot oven at 400°F for 20 minutes.
This cake is popularly served as "Victoria Sandwich" using butter icing of jam as filling.